GROUP DISCUSSION : A key element in modern day communication!
The following blog will highlight various aspects ranging from the meaning of group discussion, its novel importance in assessing potential candidates, ways and hacks to ace the group discussion round and psychological tools and techniques that recruiters use to psycho-analyze candidates. It will broaden your perspective on how one can maintain their calm and composure and present their best abilities and highlight their skills.
What is group discussion?
Group discussion is a communication tool involving various individuals assembled together either formally or informally with an intention of exchanging views and opinions to obtain knowledge and enhance their understanding about their given topic.
If you want to speak fluently and stay confident in group discussions, check out our blog on How to learn spoken English?
Group discussion has 3 types :
A competitive two way communication involving arguments supporting and arguing against a certain given topic.For example – advantages and disadvantages of science
A simple flow of information with an exchange of ideas. For example – anthropological theories of patriarchy with a feminist viewpoint.
A one-sided oration with a negative connotation commonly known as a rant. For example- a group of activists fighting for animal rights and welfare.
HOW ARE YOU ASSESSED IN A GROUP DISCUSSION : THE MAGIC OF ‘’PACK’’ ( PERSONALITY , AMBITION , CREATIVE THINKING AND KNOWLEDGE ) :
In a group discussion, every candidate is assessed to rectify their suitable fit for a job, scholarship, etc. Being a participant in a group discussion various aspects come into play and following are the criteria that will help you understand the intent of a group discussion better.
Group discussion is a mirror of your personality. Your active/inactive participation reflects your confidence and engagement. Verbal and non- verbal communication entails how accurately and efficiently you can put your point across. For example- a participant who can put forward their opinions without hesitation is perceived as a “confident” personality.
Through a group discussion, you can display your mindset by highlighting your aims and goals with respect to the given prospect. A growth mindset that is ready to learn can be shown through curiosity and inquisitiveness. For example : recruiters often look for candidates who have the willingness to gain more information and improve their skills rather than candidates who just focus on financial returns. Group discussion is a great way to show one’s healthy and positive ambition.
Creative thinking :
Creativity is the modern world’s gold! Every field looks for uniqueness in its presentation. If your opinions and ideas are presented in a drab and plain format, it fails to make a connection to the audience. Your thoughts ought to be channelized in a creative and unique way. For example- you can involve relevant data, case studies, examples from various books, literature, etc. Quoting examples from your personal life reflects your ability to use your intellect and in-depth understanding of the topic.
As the common saying goes. ‘’Knowledge is the key to success’’ Having thorough knowledge is of utmost importance which boosts the show of your caliber and suitability for the respective role.
DO’S AND DON’TS TO ACE YOUR GROUP DISCUSSION :
There exist some parameters through which you can make the top cut such as leadership qualities, critical thinking, team spirit, etc. A certain decorum and an array of etiquettes need to be followed thoroughly to make a lasting impression. Let’s have a look at certain dos & don’ts!
- A neat and clean formal sophisticated appearance.
- Good posture and confident body language.
- Polite communication.
- Positive attitude.
- Patiently listening to others viewpoints with a desire to learn.
- Relevant and authentic knowledge and statement of facts.
- Crisp, short and appealing answers.
- Affirmative reception of counterarguments.
- Possession of the ability to initiate a conversation.
- Proper and structured flow of entry and exit points.
- Being aggressive and overpowering.
- Abruptly entering the conversation.
- Not maintaining eye contact.
- Under Confident body language.
- Long drab and lengthy answers that deviate from the topic.
- Stating unauthentic/false information.
- Showing negative traits such as nervousness, being fidgety etc upon receiving opposing opinions.
- Unclean shabby appearance.
- Distract peers.
- Untimely intervention.
SNIPPETS ON HOW TO PREPARE YOURSELF FOR A GROUP DISCUSSION :
Current affairs is an integral part of a group discussion and more often than not forms a topic. One needs to be updated on current happenings around the world with aspects related to international relations, science and technology , disaster management , health and various policies formulated around the world. One can update through reading newspapers, current affairs magazines, authentic social media sources etc.
Reading books is a good way to enhance one’s mental and thinking abilities. It grooms one’s personality, widens vocabulary and boosts rational thinking.
Following are some books based on certain intrinsic elements of a group discussion :
- Word power made easy – Mr. Norman Lewis
- Everyday vocabulary – Mrs. Kumkum Gupta
- Exactly what to say – Mr.Phil M Jones
Communication skills :
- The art of public speaking – Mr.Dale Carnegie
- Think straight – Mr. Darius Fox
- How to talk to anyone – Mr. Adam Brown
Personality development :
- 12 rules for life – Mr. Jordan Peterson
- Think and grow rich – Mr. Napoleon Hill
- The alchemist – Mr. Paulo Coelho
KEY FACTORS IN A GROUP DISCUSSION SOUGHT AFTER BY AN EMPLOYER/PROVIDER :
When an employer looks for a potential candidate, he/she analyzes the individual based on how promptly the answer is given. Body language plays a vital role in pushing forward one’s profile. One’s thinking capabilities are judged based on how presentable the answers are. One must have complete confidence and faith in their opinions and possess the knowledge to stand by their viewpoints. Following are the parameters through which individuals are sifted :
- Observational skills
- Listening abilities
- Comprehension of discussion going around
- Articulation of thoughts
- Body language analysis
- Personal touch and conviction in answers
15 COMMON GROUP DISCUSSION TOPICS ASKED FREQUENTLY :
- Poverty in india
- Performances and policies of the current government
- Agriculture in india
- Women empowerment
- Me too campaign and sexual harassment at workplace
- Increasing health burden on the people of india
- Climate change
- Higher salary or work life balance ?
- Social media activism and cancel culture
- Evm or ballot papers ?
- Colourism / casteism / racism
- CAA – citizenship amendment act
- Gig economy and e-commerce
- Artificial intelligence and employment
- Social media is killing creativity
- Mental health and its ever increasing importance
- Khap panchayat – a modern day devil
- Will India be a superpower ? Why ?
The whole idea of a group discussion is to enable a common learning and assessing platform for various candidates to exhibit their knowledge and diverse opinions thereby enhancing their learning curve. With exposure to distinct viewpoints, one’s ability to counteract and support is tested. This gives an idea of how a participant will fare in a professional setup with varying work pressure and tackle everyday challenges.
Technogeeks is a software training institute that provides soft skills courses or technical courses. In Pune, Technogeeks Institute is one of the best institutes that provides spoken English courses. This course will give you the confidence to speak fluently and help you grow in your career. So why are you waiting? Visit our Technogeeks course page.
What is a group discussion method?
Group discussion is a communication method where individuals discuss a topic collectively.
What are the main features of group discussion?
Key features include open dialogue, diverse perspectives, and mutual respect.
What are the rules of group discussion?
Rules include listening, taking turns, staying on-topic, and avoiding interruptions.
What are the skills required for group discussion?
Skills needed are effective communication, active listening, teamwork, critical thinking, and adaptability.