AWS S3 Interview Questions
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a set of cloud computing services that Amazon.com offers as a cloud computing platform. It’s like, “Lower your spending and get more benefits.” AWS offers 200+ services, and these services run out of 12 different regions around the world. AWS services are used for creating, deploying, and controlling infrastructure and applications.
AWS Cloud Computing’s main competitors are Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud. AWS Cloud Computing was the first to use pay-per-use models. This means you only pay for what you use.
In this blog, we explain about “AWS S3 Interview Questions,” so let’s explore. It is a very helpful blog to prepare for the AWS Interview, so read this blog till the end.
So before exploring AWS S3 Interview Questions, I will show you some statistics about AWS Cloud Computing:
- AWS is expected to maintain its dominance in the cloud computing market with a share of 33% in 2024. Following this are Google Cloud Platform with 10% and Microsoft Azure with 21%.
- AWS S3 is expected to maintain its position as the leading cloud object storage solution, with a market share projected to reach 8.5% by 2024.
- AWS S3 is expected to store over 50 zettabytes of data in 2024. This is up from 35 zettabytes in 2023.
The need for an AWS solution architect is in high demand, which is clear from the above points . We are sure that our AWS S3 interview questions will help you do well in the interview and get the job of your dreams.
We have classified AWS S3 Interview Questions 2024 (updated) into four sections:
Section 1: Basics of AWS S3
Section 2: S3 Storage Classes
Section 3: Security and Access Control in AWS S3
Section 4: Advanced Questions Related to AWS S3
Let’s explore interview questions based on these concepts so we get covered with all the points and we can answer the interviewer with any questions related to AWS S3.
Want to transform a career in AWS Cloud Computing?
Contact Us For Free Career Counseling
Section 1: Basics of AWS S3
Question 1: What is AWS S3?
AWS S3 (Simple Storage Service) is a service for storing objects like ( that has the best scalability, data availability, security, and performance in the business.
It is mainly used for storing and retrieving any amount of data like data backup, archiving, content distribution, and various other use cases and data stored in S3 Bucket.
Question 2: What is Bucket In AWS?
Answer: An S3 bucket is like a huge hard drive in the cloud that can store a lot of data, like files and any number of objects.
In AWS S3, things are stored in buckets, and each thing is called an object. Each object has its own unique key, given by the user.
Question 3: What is the maximum size of an object that can be stored in S3?
Answer: The maximum size of an object that can be stored in S3 is 5 terabytes.
Question 4: : How is data stored within an S3 bucket?
Answer: A S3 bucket is like a folder on your computer for storing files. Whatever it is has its own name, and the bucket is like the main folder that stores all the information. So, it’s a bit like organizing your digital data into folders in the cloud.
Level up your skills in AWS Cloud Computing. Enroll now and become an expert.
Section 2: S3 Storage Classes
Question 1: What are the different storage classes in Amazon S3?
- Standard S3 Storage Class
- S3 Standard Storage Class for Infrequent Access
- S3 Reduced Redundancy Storage Class
- S3 Glacier Storage Class
Question 2: Explain the concept of versioning in AWS S3.
Versioning in AWS S3 is storing different versions of an object in the same AWS S3 bucket. With S3 Versioning, you can keep, get, and restore all versions of any object saved in your buckets.
Also it keeps a history of your digital files. Imagine you have a document, and you make changes to it over time. With versioning, S3 saves a copy of each change you make.
If you lose something by accident or make a mistake, you can go back in time and get the version of the file you need. It’s like making a copy of every change, so you will never lose important information in the cloud.
Question 3: What is the significance of a unique object key in S3?
In AWS S3, each object has a unique object key, which is like a name. It helps S3 keep track of everything you store and find it when you need it.
Also Read: AWS Lambda Interview Question
Section 3: Security and Access Control
Question 1: How can you secure data in S3?
S3 provides various security mechanisms such as –
- Bucket Policies
- Access control lists (ACLs)
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) roles
You can use these to control who can access your buckets and objects.
Question 2: Explain CORS in the context of S3.
CORS stands for Cross-Origin Resource Sharing which allows you to define which domains can access your AWS S3 resources. It’s very important for web applications hosted on one domain but needing to make requests to S3 on another domain.
Question 3: What are ACLs in AWS S3?
An S3 ACL (Access Control List) is like a set of rules attached to every S3 bucket. These rules decide exactly what people can and cannot do with the AWS S3 bucket.
When you make a bucket or an object, AWS S3 sets up a default set of rules giving full control to the owner.
Question 4: What is an IAM role, and how does it contribute to S3 security?
Answers: An IAM (Identity and Access Management Service) role is like a password that allows certain actions in your AWS account like who can access your AWS resources . It’s a set of permissions.
When it comes to S3 security, think of an IAM role that helps specific services access and work with your S3 storage. It helps control who can do what with your AWS resources in a secure manner.
Also Read: AWS DevOps Interview Questions
Section 4: Advanced Questions
Question 1: How can you optimize the performance of data transfers for large files in S3?
- Split up Big Files into Parts
- Enable S3 Transfer Acceleration
- Monitor and analyze performance metrics
- Choose the right storage class based on access frequency
- Improve data compression to cut down on file sizes and transfer times.
Question 2: How To Host Website In AWS S3?
To host a website in AWS S3, We have to follow these steps:
Step 1: Create an S3 Bucket
Step 2: Configure Bucket for Website Hosting
Step 3: Upload Website Files
Step 4: Set Permissions
Step 5: Configure DNS
Step 6: Access Website
Question 3: What tools does AWS offer for monitoring S3?
- AWS CloudWatch
- AWS CloudTrail
- AWS Config
- AWS S3 Storage Lens
Question 4: Define the concept of event notifications in S3.
Event notifications in AWS S3 are like sending notifications to inform an external system or application when specific events occur within an S3 bucket.
This service allows you to automate responses or take actions in response to changes or events in your S3 storage, such as when a new object is created or an existing object is deleted.
For example: A message can be shown to you by S3 if someone adds a new file to your bucket.
In conclusion, these AWS S3 Interview Questions are very helpful for both freshers and working professionals who are practicing for interviews or who prepare for the AWS Solution Architect Certification exam.
All these questions are very important to crack the interview. If you are studying about AWS S3 service, these questions are very helpful for study.
Keep one thing in mind Hand-on experience will help you get these interview questions even better.
Contact Us For FREE Career Counseling +91 8600998107/ +91 7028710777
1) You are working on a project where large video files need to be stored in S3. To optimize upload and download speeds, what S3 feature should you consider?
- Enable S3 Transfer Acceleration
- Set up a static website hosting solution on the S3 bucket
- Implement versioning on the S3 bucket
- Use CloudFront to distribute video files globally
Correct Answer: A) Enable S3 Transfer Acceleration
2) Your company has sensitive financial reports that need to be regularly backed up to S3. You want to make sure that the backups are encrypted and accessible only by authorized persons. What S3 feature should you use?
- Enable S3 Transfer Acceleration for faster backup uploads
- Configure S3 versioning to track changes to the financial reports
- Use server-side encryption with AWS Key Management Service (KMS)
- Set up a public S3 bucket with restricted access
Correct Answer: C) Use server-side encryption with AWS Key Management Service (KMS)
3) You are developing a mobile app that allows users to upload profile pictures. You want to ensure that users can only access their own profile pictures after authentication. What S3 configuration should you use?
- Public S3 bucket with all files set to public read access
- Private S3 bucket with individual user folders and appropriate permissions
- Use S3 Transfer Acceleration for faster profile picture uploads
- Enable S3 versioning to track changes to profile pictures over time
Correct Answer: B) Private S3 bucket with individual user folders and appropriate permissions